random reviews, recollections & reminiscings

Monday, February 25, 2008

80th Annual OSCAR Winners!

Actress Marion Cotillard onstage during the 80th Annual Academy

Well, the Oscars are a wrap. I did alright with my predictions. Jason Bourne kicked my butt though. Still sore. I picked the winners for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapated Screenplay -- and some others. Not bad, I guess. Here are winners....



AND THE OSCAR WENT TO:
Best Picture: No Country for Old Men
Best Director: Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood
Best Actress: Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men
Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton
Best Original Screenplay: Juno
Best Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men
Cinematography: No Country for Old Men
Film Editing: No Country for Old Men
Art Direction: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Costume Design: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Original Score: Atonement
Original Song: "Falling Slowly" -- Once
Best Makeup: La Vie en Rose
Sound Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Sound Mixing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Best Visual Effects: The Golden Compass
Best Animated Feature Film: Ratatouille
Best Foreign Language Film: The Counterfeiters -- Austria
Best Documentary Feature: Taxi to the Dark Side
Best Documentary Short: Freeheld
Best Live Action Short: Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)
Best Animated Short: Peter and the Wolf
What did you think about this year's Oscar winners?
  • I don't really feel like anyone was slighted. Best Supp. Actress was the most wide open.
Did you think Jon Stewart did a good job with the hosting?
  • He was great! I really enjoyed him, even better than before. Easy on the sarcasm but he did what he does and he did it well.
  • He kind of disappeared for the last hour, but I guess they usually do that towards the end when everyone wants to wrap it up already and get to the parties.
  • I loved him playing video games with that lil girl. Funny.
What were the big surprises of the night?
  • Just two that I can think of: Tilda Swinton and The Bourne Ultimatum wins.
Any huge disappointments?
  • Besides the orchestra cutting speeches short....Not really.
  • That Jerry Sienfeld bee thing was stupid.
Oh, and who looked awesome, and who didn't?
  • I thought Marion Cotillard, Julie Christie, Laura Linney, Helen Mirren and Jennifer Garner had the best looks of the night among the ladies. But other than those three....sheesh, none of the women really know how to get dressed up I guess. On the guy's side, Javier Bardem, Daniel Day-Lewis and George Clooney both looked great, and so did Denzel Washington.
  • Who didn't? Um, Tilda Swinton (although I like her) didn't look too flattering....I think it was the dress. All the other dresses didn't do anything for me.

Musicans Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard onstage during the 80t

Musician Marketa Irglova and host Jon Stewart onstage during the

Some other suprises and delights:
  • Best couple AND Best Moment award goes to: Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova winning for the song 'Falling Slowly' from the movie "Once".
  • I think I saw a ring on Marketa Irglova's left hand. Yay!
  • John Stewart being a gentleman and bringing back Marketa Irglova to make her great acceptance speech. Yay!
  • Brad Bird winning for "Ratatouille"! I love Mr. Bird.
  • "Atonement" and "Juno" only winning one award each.
  • Scorcese's eyebrows always make me feel better about my own.
  • Seeing Diablo Cody next to Harrison Ford was funny. Surreal.

Writer Diablo Cody and actor Harrison Ford onstage during the 80

Okay so, time for your thoughts on Hollywood's big night -- discuss away!
click here to read what happened just offstage

About Me

My photo
Believer. Brother. Son. Nephew. Cousin. Friend. Husband. Father. Colleague. Student. Teacher. Illustrator. Actor. Director. Singer. Improviser. Listener. Observer. Passenger. Driver. Tourist. Traveller. Imaginative. Resilient.